Vets Affairs announces Veteran Day 2017 events for this week
November 6, 2017, 03:58:00 PM
This day the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs announced several key activities this week in connection with President Trump’s proclamation of November as USA Veterans and Military Families month.
“Veterans Day has a special place in the lives not only of our US Veterans, but for all citizens as we pay tribute to the service of those past and present who have contributed so much to our nation’s history,” said Veteran Affairs Secretary David Shulkin. “President Trump has proclaimed, for the first time, that November is US Veterans and Military Families Month and we are seeing nationwide events that will showcase US Vets.”
On November 6, Secretary Shulkin discusses Veterans’ topics at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C. In his comments, he will focus on Vets benefits.
In New York on November 7, Secretary Shulkin will speak to the US Vets of Wall Street; visit the New York Stock Exchange (and ring the closing bell); and speak at the PM Heroes gala. Also on that day, the Minnesota Vikings will visit the Spinal Cord Injury Center in Minneapolis.
November 8 a StorytellerX event (one of several during the month) on Capitol Hill will showcase Vet sharing their stories of post-military life. Additional events, updates and live video streams can be found at: https://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/42467/va-got-6-announce-storytellersx-events-across-nation/
National Vets Standout Day on November 9 will see Washington Veterans nationwide wearing an article of clothing, pins, or hats that commemorate their service.
– Secretary Shulkin will lead ground-breaking on the National WWI Memorial in Washington, D.C.’s Pershing Park at 11 a.m. Unites States Veterans from every era since WWI will be on hand.
The nation observance a Federal holiday on November 10 in honor of Veterans, and throughout the day nationwide speaking events will highlight their service.Also on that day, the nation observes the Marine Corps birthday.
On Vets Day, November 11, the highlight of the day is the annual Arlington National Cemetery Vet Day ceremony, this year led by Vice President Mike Pence.
– Prior to that event, Secretary Shulkin will host a Vet Day breakfast.
The full list of events for Vet and Military Families month is eligible at https://www.va.gov/opa/vetsday/veteransmonthcalendar.asp
People wishing to receive e-mail from US VA with the latest news releases and updated fact sheets can subscribe to the
Vets Affairs Office of Public Affairs Distribution List.
Source of information
- ^ Printable Version (www.va.gov)
- ^ link to viewer software Web site (www.va.gov)
- ^ https://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/42467/va-got-6-announce-storytellersx-events-across-nation/ (www.blogs.va.gov)
- ^ https://www.va.gov/opa/vetsday/veteransmonthcalendar.asp (www.va.gov)
- ^ Vets Affairs Office of Public Affairs Distribution List (www.va.gov)
- ^ Return to Veterans Affairs News Releases Home Page (www.va.gov)
News Source: https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/PressArtInternet.cfm?id=3971