Veterans Affairs announces Vet Day 2017 events for this week
November 6, 2017, 03:58:00 PM
Today the U.S. Dept. of Vet Affairs announced several key activities this week in connection with President Trump’s proclamation of November as US Veterans and Military Families month.
“Veterans Day has a special place in the lives not only of our Veteran, but for all citizens as we pay tribute to the service of those past and present who have contributed so much to our nation’s history,” said VA.Gov Secretary David Shulkin. “President Trump has proclaimed, for the first time, that November is Veteran and Military Families Month and we are seeing nationwide events that will showcase Veteran.”
On November 6, Secretary Shulkin discusses Veterans’ topics at the National Press Club in USA, D.C. In his comments, he will focus on Veterans benefits.
In New York on November 7, Secretary Shulkin will speak to the Government Veterans of Wall Street; visit the New York Stock Exchange (and ring the closing bell); and speak at the PM Heroes gala. Also on that day, the Minnesota Vikings will visit the Spinal Cord Injury Center in Minneapolis.
November 8 a StorytellerX event (one of several during the month) on Capitol Hill will showcase Vets sharing their stories of post-military life. Additional events, updates and live video streams can be found at: https://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/42467/va-got-6-announce-storytellersx-events-across-nation/
National US Vets Standout Day on November 9 will see US Vets nationwide wearing an article of clothing, pins, or hats that commemorate their service.
– Secretary Shulkin will lead ground-breaking on the National WWI Memorial in Unites States, D.C.’s Pershing Park at 11 a.m. Vet from every era since WWI will be on hand.
The nation observance a Federal holiday on November 10 in honor of US Veterans, and throughout the day nationwide speaking events will highlight their service.Also on that day, the nation observes the Marine Corps birthday.
On Vet Day, November 11, the highlight of the day is the annual Arlington National Cemetery Veteran Day ceremony, this year led by Vice President Mike Pence.
– Prior to that event, Secretary Shulkin will host a Vets Day breakfast.
The full list of events for Vets and Military Families month is eligible at https://www.va.gov/opa/vetsday/veteransmonthcalendar.asp
- ^ Printable Version (www.va.gov)
- ^ link to viewer software Web site (www.va.gov)
- ^ https://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/42467/va-got-6-announce-storytellersx-events-across-nation/ (www.blogs.va.gov)
- ^ https://www.va.gov/opa/vetsday/veteransmonthcalendar.asp (www.va.gov)
- ^ Veterans Affairs Office of Public Affairs Distribution List (www.va.gov)
- ^ Return to US VA News Releases Home Page (www.va.gov)
News Source: https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/PressArtInternet.cfm?id=3971