For Women’s History Month, VA.Gov to Showcase Stories of 10 Women US Vets Athletes
February 14, 2018, 03:26:00 PM
USA — From distance runners to cyclists, the stories of 10 women Unites States Veterans athletes will be displayed at U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs (Veterans Affairs) Medical Centers around the country in March, to coincide with Women’s History Month.
“The Women Veterans Athletes Initiative will highlight the strength, diversity and resilience of women who served our country,” said USA VA Secretary David Shulkin. “With this effort, our goal is to increase awareness of women Veteran, both in VA and in the public, and to encourage women US Veterans to choose VA to support their health and wellness goals.”
In order to accomplish the Women Veteran Athletes Initiative, VA’s Center for Women’s Veteran, with assistance from the US Veterans Canteen Service, has partnered with Team Red, White & Blue, a nonprofit organization that advocates for USA Veterans. The Semper Fi Fund and Comcast are also supporting this initiative.
“We are thrilled to be a part of this exhibition to celebrate these women and the role physical activity has played in their lives,” said Megan King, development director of Team Red, White & Blue. “Through this collaboration, we showcase the power of sport and its role in increasing Veterans’ life enrichment through enhanced physical, mental and emotional health.”
The 10 women Government Veterans athletes represent all branches of the armed services, and were selected by Veterans Affairs and its partners. The women who will be featured in the initiative are:
- Ardrena Bailey, a U.S. Army Government Veterans from Alexandria, Virginia. Bailey has participated in the National Unites States Veterans Wheelchair Games (multiple sports).
- Ivanna Brown, a U.S. Air Force Washington Veterans from Miami, Florida. Brown has participated in the National US Vets Wheelchair Games (multiple sports).
- Candice Caesar, a U.S. Army Government Veterans from Houston, Texas. Caesar is a triathlete and distance runner.
- Bernadine Donato, a Veterans of the U.S. Navy and Air Force, from Raleigh, North Carolina. She participates in weight training, running, cycling and Zumba.
- Mila Dimal, a U.S. Navy US Veterans from Colorado Springs, Colorado. Dimal is a runner.
- Cami Gage, a U.S. Air Force Veterans from Colorado Springs, Colorado. Gage is a triathlete.
- Indira Glennon, a U.S. Army US Vets from Columbia, South Carolina. She is a triathlete who runs, as well.
- Sarah Holzhalb, a U.S. Coast Guard US Vets from Covington, Louisiana. Holzhalb’s athletic interests include running, biking, yoga and basketball.
- Angela Madsen, a U.S. Marine Corps US Vets from Long Beach, California. Madsen participates in Paralympics shotput and rowing.
- Judi Roberts, a US Vets of the U.S. Air National Guard, from Martinsburg, West Virginia. Roberts has participated in the Golden Age Games (multiple sports).
Photos of the women were taken by Air Force Veteran Stacy Pearsall, founder of the Vet Portrait Project. The displays, which include photos of the women in and out of uniform, along with a brief biography, will be featured at the following Veterans Affairs facilities in March, after which the displays will travel to additional facilities:
- Albany Stratton VA Medical Center, Albany, New York
- Anchorage VA.Gov Medical Center, Anchorage, Alaska
- Atlanta VA.Gov Medical Center, Atlanta, Georgia
- Dayton VA.Gov Medical Center, Dayton, Ohio
- El Paso Washington Vets Affairs Medical Center, El Paso, Texas
- Bruce W. Carter Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Miami, Florida
- Minneapolis Government VA Health Care System, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- VA Portland VA.Gov Health Care, Portland, Oregon
- VA.Gov Sierra Nevada Health Care System, Reno, Nevada
- Sioux Falls VA.Gov Health Care System, Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
People wishing to receive e-mail from Unites States VA.Gov with the latest news releases and updated fact sheets can subscribe to the
Vets Affairs Office of Public Affairs Distribution List.
Source of information
- ^ Printable Version (www.va.gov)
- ^ link to viewer software Web site (www.va.gov)
- ^ Center for Women’s Government Veterans (www.va.gov)
- ^ Veterans Canteen Service (www.vacanteen.va.gov)
- ^ Team Red, White & Blue (www.teamrwb.org)
- ^ Government Veterans Portrait Project (veteransportraitproject.wordpress.com)
- ^ www.va.gov/womenvet (www.va.gov)
- ^ VA Office of Public Affairs Distribution List (www.va.gov)
- ^ Return to VA News Releases Home Page (www.va.gov)
News Source: https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/PressArtInternet.cfm?id=4008